23.2 C
New York

Trump announces ‘crushing’ economic war on Iran, warns backers of ‘tremendous’ costs

Published:

US President Donald Trump points his finger during a cabinet meeting in the Cabinet Room at the White House in Washington, DC, US, May 27, 2026. — Reuters
  • US to pursue economic warfare, isolation on an unprecedented scale.
  • Countries providing Iran economic “lifeline” warned of consequences.
  • Targets oil smuggling, cash transfers, exchange houses, front companies.

US President Donald Trump has announced what he called the “MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION EVER TAKEN AGAINST ANY COUNTRY”, warning Iran and countries that continue to provide economic support to Tehran of sweeping new measures.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump accused Iran of rejecting opportunities to reach a deal with his administration and said Washington would pursue “Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale”.

“No one has given the Islamic Republic of Iran a greater opportunity to make a Deal than me. TRAGICALLY, for them, they have failed to take it,” Trump said.

Trump claimed Iran’s navy had been destroyed, its air force was “destroyed”, its military factories reduced to rubble, and its currency rendered “worthless”.

He said countries allowing their financial institutions, businesses, airports or government entities to provide any “lifeline” to Iran would face “TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences”.

Trump specifically warned against oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries and front companies, saying: “It all needs to stop NOW.”

“This will be an ECONOMIC D-DAY,” Trump said, calling on US allies to support Washington in isolating Iran.

He also said the measures would cripple Iran’s ability to “project terror worldwide” and reiterated his administration’s opposition to Tehran acquiring nuclear weapons.

“IRAN WILL NEVER HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON,” Trump said.

Trump’s latest announcement comes after a series of conflicting signals over the possibility of diplomacy with Tehran, with the US president previously leaving the door open to negotiations while Iran has stressed that any talks must take place on terms that respect its sovereignty and interests.

Trump had said negotiations with Iran could take place “at some point”, without specifying when or under what conditions Washington would be prepared to resume talks.

He also claimed the Strait of Hormuz remained open, saying vessels were continuing to pass through despite what he described as an “extremely effective” US naval blockade. “The Strait is open. A lot of boats are coming through. People aren’t reporting that… the Naval blockade has been extremely effective… We’re going to see what happens,” Trump said on Truth Social.

Tehran, meanwhile, has maintained that it remains open to diplomacy but will not negotiate from a position of weakness. President Masoud Pezeshkian said “negotiation is not surrender”, arguing that any talks should be pursued “at the height of our power” and with the aim of ending the war, lifting the siege, releasing blocked resources and eventually addressing nuclear issues.

“We defend territorial integrity, but war is not our goal,” Pezeshkian said, according to Iran’s ISNA state news agency.

Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf has adopted a more confrontational tone, accusing Washington of seeking to “plunder the countries of the region” and their resources. Speaking in Baghdad, he described the US as the “biggest problem” and “main cause” of regional problems, claiming Washington had been defeated militarily and politically in what he called the “third imposed war”, according to Fars news agency.

Regional diplomatic channels have remained active despite the escalating rhetoric. 

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi held a phone call with Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) Field Marshal Asim Munir to discuss regional developments, diplomatic efforts and political solutions, while also exploring ways to strengthen bilateral consultations and cooperation, according to the Iranian government.

The contrasting positions come as tensions over the conflict, the Strait of Hormuz and Iran’s nuclear programme continue to shape efforts to find a diplomatic way out of the confrontation.



Source link

Related articles

Recent articles